Friday, July 27, 2012

Best White Bread in a Bread Machine Recipe

Investing in a bread machine was one of the soundest financial decisions I've made. Found at a thrift store for 10 bucks, this gem was a steal. I highly recommend visiting your local thrift stores if you are thinking of purchasing a bread machine. Now that I look for them, I see them frequently and sometimes even cheaper than what I paid. Buying used is usually the best route anyway, but it also lets you try it out (bread machine bread-making) before splurging on a pricey machine you're not sure you'd use.

I found this recipe for "Best Bread Machine Bread" and wanted to try it. Only one other recipe was attempted before this one - not going back and no longer looking for a typical bread recipe. The first time I followed the recipe, the bread rose to the top of my machine and I spent a good amount of time scraping and cleaning bread gunk from the inside of the machine. I adjusted the recipe so it makes a smaller loaf. And......YES....you add the yeast/water/sugar FIRST. This goes against all directions and advice about using a bread machine but it works.

Best Bread

3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar (recipe says white but I use turbinado)
1 3/4 tsp yeast

Combine in bread machine pan and let sit about 10 minutes, then add the rest:

3/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups bread flour (I substitute 1/4 cup flour for 1/4 cup wheat germ)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Set it. Forget it. And you have delicious toasty bread in 3 to 4 hours.


This bread is similar to Spatz's white bread, made in Saginaw, MI. Makes great breakfast toast, garlic bread, sandwich bread and french toast. I haven't bought store bread since.



3 comments:

  1. This is excellent bread. My kids love it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Zojirushi Bread machine and the Panasonic Bread model are 2 of the finest of their kind. In my opinion, the greatest model is the Zojirushi. click here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I Love Spatz bread so I'm going to try this but can I do it without a bread machine?

    ReplyDelete